The Need: VP of Product
As a Series A funded company, Breakthrough was in urgent need of a product leader to refine and build out their interactive web platform. The company needed someone to lead the day-to day activities of the product function and own the product roadmap, product team and all product management efforts. The key responsibilities for this position included the ability to continuously refine the product roadmap, scale the current system and build on it simultaneously, and recruit, train, and manage a world-class product team.
The ideal candidate was highly entrepreneurial, had exposure to both compelling consumer web products as well as complex healthcare products and was capable of inserting process and scalability to an early-stage product.
• Proven ability to build complex world-class products
• At least seven years’ experience in product management roles at internet companies
• Healthcare product leadership experience
• Founded or worked with an early-stage internet start up
Within 10 weeks of launching the search, the ideal executive was identified, screened, and hired. By performing detailed market mapping of the two industries, a target list of over 170 potential candidates was built.
The placed executive had both a consumer and healthcare technology background having spent four years at StubHub and three years at Epocrates. He demonstrated significant expertise in healthcare products and product development experience having built the interactive seat map design for StubHub (a key IP component in the acquisition by eBay).
• Boot strapped a company from idea to cash flow positive
• Released native and web view iOS and Android applications
• Built processes to drive revenue growth by 7x
• Responsible for a company’s Web2.0 strategy
• A combined consumer and digital healthcare product background
• Targeting product executives with hands-on experience as opposed to a seasoned VP of Product
• Urgent need to fill the position within two months